Center for World Conflict and Peace

Center for World Conflict and Peace

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Dispatch from Egypt

I went to Tahrir Square with my revolutionary friends today to listen to the new Prime Minister Mr. Essam Sharaf’s speech. We tried to squeeze through the crowds to get close to the stage from which he was giving his speech, but unfortunately it was too crowded to get through so we returned back to our spot. The speakers were not loud enough for us to hear from our spot, but we read the his speech on updates on my friend’s blackberry, then we later on watched the speech on television when we got home.

We finally have a descent, respectable, honest man with integrity. He is someone who really cares about the best interest of Egypt and Egyptians. He has a really tough job ahead of him that requires patience and persistence. We give him all our support and stand by him in all his efforts to regain stability, security and in rebuilding our beloved Egypt. This article translates his speech and includes updates on a major incident that took place in Alexandria, Egypt today.

On the personal front, I have been elected today as a Project Manager for Zamalek Guardians (which is my neighborhood populace committee). I will be attending a neighborhood meeting tomorrow at noon to meet other elected heads and get to know neighbors. Our neighborhood’s reputation resonated all over Cairo as the most secure during the revolution. We did a great job protecting it from looters and thugs. I am still planning on writing a piece on this part of the revolution, but the developments in Egypt and around the region have kept me super busy. I will keep everyone posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment